BoydTech Hosting comes with email accounts. This article will describe how to set up email on Microsoft Outlook. Outlook 2010 is used in the screen shots below. The same screenshots apply to Outlook 2007.
What you will need:
Your new email address and password.
A copy of Microsoft Office/Outlook 2007 or 2010.
Step 1 – Access Account Settings
From the File menu (outlook 2010) or the Tools menu (outlook 2007) select Account Settings.
Select “New…” as shown below.
Step 2 – Basic Information
Enter your Name, Email Address and password.
Select “Manually configure server settings or additional server types”.
Step 3 – Choose Service
Select Internet E-mail from the list.
Step 4 – Internet Email Settings
Some information on this screen will appear automatically.
- Verify Your name, and Email address.
- Your name is the name that will appear when you send someone an email. Use your full name. for example: John Smith, instead of jsmith.
- Account Type: POP3
- Incoming Mail Server: mail.YourDomain.com
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.YourDomain.com
- * your domain is your website name, for example ours would be: mail.boydtechdesign.com
- User Name: is your full email address. YourName@YourDomain.com
- Password: your password
Click the “More Settings…” button
Step 5 – More Settings – Outgoing Server
When the More Setting dialog box appears, click Outgoing Server
- Put a check in “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”
- Select “Use same settings as my incoming mail server
Click on the “Advanced Tab”
Step 6 – More Settings – Advanced Tab
Server Port Numbers
- Incoming server (POP3): 110 – this should be the default
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 26 – you will likely have to change this from the default of 25
- Select the delivery options you prefer. If you are going to use web mail a lot we recommend keeping mail on the server. If you exclusively use outlook then delete mail. Keeping mail on the server also allows you to connect from a phone or tablet to receive mail. We like to check [Leave Messages On Server] and [Remove from server when deleted from ‘Delete Items’]. These options allow us to get mail to the web, phones, and tablets, while still allowing us to clean out our inboxes.
Click the OK button
Step 7 – Click Next Finish
You will return to the Internet Email Setting Dialog box
Notice there is a check in the “Test Account Settings by click the Next Button”. You can leave this checked. It will test your work and verify you can connect to mail. Alternately you can test by click the [Test Account Settings…] button
Click the Next Button
Step 8 – Click Finish
Congratulations. You are done.
Your new email address will appear in the list of E-Mail Accounts.
If you had an old email account from a previous server you may delete that one now.
You can set any address as the Default, by click on the address and pressing the [Set as Default] button
Using Multiple Accounts
You may also add additional email addresses to your outlook. For example if your company uses email addresses such as Sales, or Info, you can configure Outlook to read these emails too. Multiple outlook users can pop mail from the same account. This way your sales team can all view the sales email messages.
Outlook can support the use of folder to organize your mail. You can set certain email accounts to deliver mail to certain folders. For example, all your Sales emails could be routed to a sales folder automatically.
Still need more help? Give us a call at 865-824-3362.